Although Trek has come and gone, I feel like I should give it some credit and consideration on my blog. I had such a great and enjoyable experience on trek. I not only came to know our "children" but I came to know my husband in a different way and I love him more for it, through experiences we would not have had otherwise.
We worked hard for months before Trek, preparing and practicing the skit with some of the youth from the ward. (Mr. Doorman and I were given a story about a Pioneer Saint who had crossed the plains. From that story we created a skit for the youth to act in.) The youth who participated in the skit did an absolutly amazing job! I am grateful for their example as they sacrificed many many hours practicing and memorizing. As I look back I am grateful for the opportunity all of it gave me to interact and create a closeness with those youth in the skit that weren't in my family, and I love them more now for it.
My trek family was amazing! (I am sure everyone can and will say that about their family) But I can see through inspiration I was blessed with family members that were perfect for Mr. Doorman and I. They all worked so very hard to push and pull the cart. I am pretty sure my strength and stamina gave out long before anyone else. Never did they complain. And even though personalities were vastly different they worked together, were aware of each other and got along.
One memorable moment during the walk; was when one of the kids had a "trek experience" where they had to be blind folded for 1/2 hour. The purpose was to be experiencing for a Pioneer Ancestor who became Snow Blind for a couple of days. We placed a blindfold around his eyes and placed his hands on the back of the cart so that the cart could help lead him along. As we walked, those pulling the cart would call back to him to warn him of dips and rocks in the road helping him to not stumble. The whole time he was blindfolded, he was saying "this is so cool!" and other teenage positive words. Anyway, he was an example to me in his ability to be happy in anything and everything. (This is also the same youth, who I don't think slowed down at all during our three day journey and I wished for a cupful of his energy)
We had an older brother in our family, and he was a perfect older brother. He pulled the cart constantly. And was always everywhere he needed to be and always helping. I never heard a word of complaint from him, even when the temperature soared, the wind stopped and the water was low. He did the work he was called upon to do. I can see how he has been raised by wonderful parents and has been taught the value of hard work. Now, he is out serving a mission and I know that he will be working hard and vigorously to bring the gospel to the Lord's children.
Once a month for the few months before Trek we invited our trek family over, giving us an opportunity to get to know them before we were "stuck" with them "alone" in the "wilderness" :0)
I miss those evenings with the youth filling our home with joy and laughter. I hope they enjoyed the moments as much as we did.
Each family was asked to create a trek flag to represent their trek family. Our family didn't really seem to care much what we had on our flag. Mr. Doorman our trek Pa, came up with this idea. With help from Missing Hinge we were able to take his idea and make it reality. We called ourselves the "Trekkies" the picture is of the Pioneers pulling a handcart with the Star Trek symbol above them. The saying below says : "Boldly Trekking where our Ancestors Trekked Before" ( The TW in the corner is our ward symbol).
We wanted to give each of the youth in our family something that they would be able to have to remember the experience. With Missing Hinge's help, we were able to embroider our "Trekkies" logo onto a pillowcase for each one of them. I know that each time I use this pillowcase on my bed, I am reminded of the love and gratitude I have for those Pioneers who paved the way with faith, determination and sacrifice. Also I think about the faith and sacrifice of my own trek family. I hope they are remembering their experience on Trek and using those memories and experiences to continue to feed and strengthen their testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And they will be able to always express gratitude for the early Saints who crossed the plains and sacrificed so much, not even knowing that their sacrifice would bless the lives of countless people for generations.

